Great Learning by Students and Staff This Week…
The students continued to work hard in all of their classes. After school some staff attended a workshop on Google Classroom so they can better communicate with families in a timely manner. The whole team came together on Friday to work on assessment and evaluation strategies and analyze school data to develop our school improvement plan. A draft version of the plan will be shared at our first Catholic Parent Advisory Council meeting this week. We would love for you to join us.
Meet the Teacher BBQ was a Success!
We are really grateful the rain held off and so many families were able to attend. Thank you to everyone who supported their daughters and sons by making a connection with the teachers in the building that will be partnering with you this year.
Rowan’s Law Day on Wednesday: Wear Purple
Rowan’s Law was named for Rowan Stringer, a high school rugby player from Ottawa, who died in the spring of 2013 from a condition known as second impact syndrome (swelling of the brain caused by a subsequent injury that occurred before a previous injury healed). Rowan is believed to have experienced three concussions over six days while playing rugby. She had a concussion but didn’t know her brain needed time to heal. Neither did her parents, teachers or coaches. Rowan’s Law and Rowan’s Law Day were established to honour her memory and bring awareness to concussions and concussion safety.
Terry Fox Run is This Thursday: Wear RED AND WHITE and bring a Toonie!
On Thursday September 26, 2019 students in Kindergarten to Grade Eight will be taking part in the Terry Fox National School Walk Day (rain date Fri. Sept. 27). Kindergarten students will be staying on St. Peter’s property, Grades 1-8 will be completing a community walk. More details about what to wear and how to support can be found in the link below:
Fire Drill Safety Week
Each term we conduct a number of safety drills to ensure we are prepared in the event of a real emergency. Please speak with your children about the importance of full participation in a safety drill. Fire drills should not be a surprise to any of us, and if your child experiences anxiety please remind them that the drills will be taking place throughout the week.
A Huge THANK YOU to all the parents and guardians who volunteer for us. In order to do so, you needed to submit a valid police check with a vulnerable sector screen. If you have already done that, this year you will need to complete an offence declaration. Essentially, this lets you tell us if you have been convicted of a crime since your police check, or that you have continued to be a crime-free member of the community :). Please take the time to submit the page to Mrs. Ullmann so she can update her records and you can join the class on an excursion or help out at an event like Track and Field. Maybe you would consider being one of the heroes in the school who supports our strong start program and help the youngest learners in our building learn to read. All the training is provided and we would love to assemble a larger team. If you are interested, please contact Mrs. Farrow.
Document to Fill Out if you already have a police check: Saint-Peter-Volunteer-Offence-Declaration
Letter to obtain a police check for only $10 : Signed Volunteer Letter
Twilight Retreat for Parents/Guardians
Sometimes you hear about all the great things happening at school and you wonder if there is ever an opportunity for you to join in. This retreat opportunity is specifically for parents! Our Board’s theme for this year is: Called to Belong! The experience will be facilitated by Fr. Joseph de Viveiros, C.R., the Spiritual Animator for the Board. Come and discover more about the spiritual journey upon which our staff and students have embarked. All are welcome to come and learn and pray around the awesome mystery of God’s universal love!
You may join us at the location that is most convenient to you. All retreats begin at 7:00 p.m. and are 2 hours in length. Please sign up at this link:
Light Refreshments will be served.
Cambridge – Wednesday September 25th – St. Mary of the Visitation Parish (16 Cooper St, Cambridge, ON)
Waterloo – Thursday September 26th – St. Michael Parish (80 University Ave W, Waterloo)
Kitchener – Wednesday October 9th – St. Anthony Daniel Parish (29 Midland Dr, Kitchener, ON)
Monday, September 23rd Fire Drill Safety Week Begins
- Remember to Complete and Return Start Up Packages
- Junior Co-Ed Soccer Practice at Lunch
Tuesday, September 24th
- Study Hall at Lunch
- First Catholic Parent Advisory Council Meeting of the 2019-2020 School Year. ALL ARE WELCOME! 6:30PM in the Library.
Wednesday, September 25th
- Rowan’s Law Day: Wear Purple to show support for concussion awareness.
- Junior Soccer Practice at Lunch
- Study Hall At Lunch
Thursday, September 26th
- Terry Fox Run *Permission given through start up package for Neighbourhood Walks. Please make sure this is complete so your child can participate!
- Junior Co-Ed Soccer Tournament
- Study Hall at Lunch
Friday, September 27th
- MADD Presentation to Intermediate Students at 9AM
Looking Beyond This Week…
- Orange Shirt Day in Support of Residential School Survivors (September 30th)
- Umbrella Assembly at 2:00PM-Focus is Gratitude Led by Mrs. Schell’s Class (September 30th)
- Grade 7 Confirmation Retreat (October 2nd and 3rd)
- Picture Day (October 10th)
- Grade 4 Bible Presentation with Father Ross at 9:30AM (October 10th)
- Thanksgiving: No School (October 14th)
- Intermediate First Aid and CPR Training (October 15th)
- Thanksgiving Liturgy at 8:30 AM-Led by Mrs. Schell’s Class (October 16th)
- Federal Election: Saint Peter is a Polling Station (October 21st)
- P.A. Day: No School for Students (October 25th)
- Umbrella Assembly at 10:00 AM-Focus is Grit Led by Mrs. Schell’s and Mrs. Farrow’s Classes (October 28th)
- Grade 3s at Safety Village (October 29th)
- Grade 7 Immunizations (October 31st)
- Happy Halloween (October 31st)
- All Saints Day (November 1st)
- Progress Reports Go Home (November 5th)
- Parent/Student/Teacher Conferences (November 7th)
- Remembrance Day Liturgy @ 10:45AM -Led by Mrs. MacMillan and Mrs. Harrington’s Students (November 11th)
- World Diabetes Awareness Day-Wear Blue (November 14th)
- P.A. Day: No School for Students (November 15th)
- Rosary Liturgy at Saint Peter School -Led by Mr. Smart’s Class (November 26th at 9AM)
- Umbrella Assembly @ 12:15PM -Focus is Self-Compassion Led by Mrs. Faria’s and Mrs. LeDrew’s Classes (December 2nd)
- Grade 5 Students go to the Safety Village (December 3rd)
- P.A. Day : No School for Students (December 6th)
- Advent Mass Led by Mrs. Petro’s Class at 8:45AM at School with Father Ross (December 12th)
- Umbrella Assembly @ 8:40AM -Focus is Resilience – Led by Mrs. Haman and Mrs. Harrington (December 16th)
- Christmas Vacation Begins (December 21st)