Another Great Week Of Learning…
We had another great week of learning and I wanted to walk you just a few of some of the great things I was able to observe.
Mr. Harnack introduced Comic Books as a form of creative writing. This Genre leads to the study of graphic novels in secondary and the foundations begin in his grade 3 class!
Mrs. Van Trigt was doing some small group instruction with some of our primary Math Students.
Mrs. MacMillan was doing some hands-on music lessons where students created notes from play-dough and used wooden sticks as bar lines.
Mrs. Smith was doing sorting activities to solidify her students’ understanding of 2D Figures.
Mrs. Haman had quite the discussion on penguins when the students were learning about text features. This led to a debate about what a metre really looked like!
Mrs. Robertson and Mrs. Schell invited Anne Jamieson in from the Hamilton Diocese to speak to our grade 7 students. She serves 183 schools in the Diocese, but only made a special trip to Saint Peter! It helps when you have the best intermediate staff in the business.
#BellLetsTalk Day was a huge success!
Our Math Question of the Week is really starting to take off!
It is with mixed feelings that we announce to the community that Mrs. Trowhill is moving to a different school in our community. She has decided to take on a new challenge at St. Teresa of Calcutta CES. We will miss her dearly, but know she is ready for a new challenge. We look forward to welcoming JEFF MARKS as our new head custodian. Mr. Marks will be at Saint Peter full time and will be joined by Mr. Medeiros as our evening custodian. They will have big shoes to fill, but I am confident the school will remain at the same standard of excellence we have come to appreciate over the years.
This same week Mr. Smart was able to deliver the news to our school community that he has been promoted to Vice-Principal! This is a very exciting change for him, but also a challenge for our community losing such an incredible educator. Due to the posting requirements, we are only able to begin interviews on Monday morning so as soon as the teacher has been selected, I will let our community know. The pool of candidates is very impressive!
FUNdraiser Continues…Keep Bringing in Those Pledges!
It is official…we are in FUNdraising mode as a school. You would have likely heard your children tell you how excited they are to earn tickets for great prizes and the opportunity to Pie the Principal in the Face! It is all in good fun that supports the learning and educational experience of our students. We value your partnership and support, and look forward to you joining us for the fun as well. More details to come when we have our Celebration Assembly, but we have many pledges to go first. Pledges can be made when students bring in cash or you use Cash-Online. All Donations $25 or over eligible for a tax receipt. Our Dance-A-Thon will take place on February 21st.
Registration is Open! Tell your Friends!
~~ Parents can access the Online Registration form by clicking on the Register for School link on the WCDSB Homepage and then choosing either Kindergarten Registration, Elementary Registration or Secondary Registration. The link to Online Registration can be found on each page under the “Registration Options”
~~ Children born in 2016 are eligible for Year 1 Kindergarten (JK).
~~ Children born in 2015 are eligible for Year 2 Kindergarten (SK).
~~ When registering your child to attend a Catholic elementary school you must be prepared to provide proof of the child’s date of birth and either the child’s Catholic baptismal certificate or the Catholic baptismal certificate of at least one parent or guardian.
~~ If you are non-Catholic, but wish to explore a Catholic education for your child(ren), please review the WCDSB Admissions to Catholic Elementary Schools policy. Our secondary schools are open to students of all faiths.
~~ A complete list of WCDSB schools that will offer the Extended Day Program in 2020-21 will be web-posted in April, 2020. Please call your school directly for information about the Extended Day Program. A complete list of WCDSB schools currently providing the program is available via this link: Extended Day Program.
Parents regularly ask us if there are any opportunities to help out and volunteer at the school. Currently there are 3 opportunities.
- Strong Start Reading Support. This requires a few hours a week, but will make an incredible difference in the lives of the kids you interact with. Essentially, it is a reading intervention which helps students who are struggling to master their reading skills. If you are interested in helping, please contact Sharon Farrow who organizes the program at our school.
- Smoothie/Milkshake Day! On Monday, February 10th we are doing a Smoothie/Milkshake day as voted on by kids as their Spirit Meter Reward for passing the halfway point. If you would like to participate as a volunteer to help blend and mix some delicious drinks for our students, please reach out to Mr. Hunt.
- Shrove Tuesday Pancake Breakfast. This is about a month away, but if you feel like being a part of making our community breakfast happen, we would love you to be a part of the special day. Again, please reach out to Mr. Hunt to express your interest in participating in this event.
Monday, February 3rd
- Teachers will be doing an information picket after school at 3:00PM regarding the job action taking place the following day.
Tuesday, February 4th (School Closed Due to Strike Action)
- School Closed to Job Action by OECTA.
- Pizza Day Moved To Tomorrow
Wednesday, February 5th
- Study Hall At Lunch
- Winter Walk to School Day: Everyone do their best to Walk To School!
- Art Club with Mr. Harnack
- Pizza Day
- Spirit Wear Day: Wear Red, Black and Grey
- Maker Club in the Library
- Basketball Club at Lunch Time
Thursday, February 6th
- Study Hall at Lunch
- Grade 8 Popcorn sales at Lunch ($1/bag, cash only, sold weekly on Thursdays)
- Confirmation Retreat and Rehearsal for Grade 7 Students from 9AM to 2PM at Saint Patrick’s Parish
- COUNTRY WESTERN SPIRIT DAY: Wear Your Country Western Gear and Saddle Up for a Fun Day Partner!
Friday, February 7th
- Confirmation for Grade 7 Students at 7PM at Saint Patrick’s Parish
Looking Beyond This Week…
- Smoothie/Milkshake Spirit Reward Day (February 10th)
- Report Cards Go Home (February 13th)
- Term 2 IEPs Go Home (February 13th)
- Grade 7 Swim to Survive (February 13th)
- Family Day (February 17th)
- Intermediate Basketball Tournament at Msgr. Doyle (February 20th)
- Autonomy Umbrella Assembly: Mrs. Robertson and Mr. Smart’s classes leading (12:15PM February 24th)
- First Communion Parent Meeting (February 25th at 7PM at Saint Patrick’s Parish)
- Ash Wednesday Liturgy at 1:30PM at Saint Peter (February 26th)
- Grade 7 Swimming Lessons (February 27th)
- Lenten Prayer Gathering (March 4th @ 8:40 AM)
- Lenten Prayer Gathering (March 11th @ 8:40 AM)
- Lenten Reconciliation (Confession) at school (March 12th)
- March Break (March 16th to 20th)
- Lenten Prayer Gathering (March 25th @ 8:40 AM)
- Grade 8 Grad, SK Photos, Sibling Photos and Retakes (March 26th)
- Intrinsic Motivation Umbrella Assembly at 10AM Mrs. Petro’s Class Leading (March 30th)
- Lenten Prayer Gathering (April 1st @ 8:40 AM)
- Grade 2’s Visit Saint Patrick’s for Reconciliation Preparation @ 12:30PM (April 2nd)
- P.A. Day (April 3rd)
- Holy Thursday (April 9th)
- Stations of the Cross at 2PM-Mrs. Robertson’s class leading (April 9th)
- Good Friday (April 10th)
- Easter Monday (April 13th)
- First Reconciliation for Grade 2s @ 1PM (Saturday, April 18th)
- Grade 7 Immunizations (April 27th)
- Integrity Umbrella Assembly at 2PM Mrs. Faria and Mr. Gallipeau’s classes leading (April 27th)
- Crowning of Mary Liturgy at 8:45AM-Mr. Smart’s Class Leading (May 7th)
- Safety Drill Week (May 11th to 15th)
- Victoria Day (May 18th)
- Mastery/Hope Umbrella Assembly Led by Mr. Harnack’s and Mrs. Schell’s classes @ 10:45AM (May 25th)
- First Communion Rehearsal/Retreat for Grade 2s at 10AM (May 28th)
- P.A. Day (May 29th)
- First Communion at 10AM (May 30th)
- Regional Track and Field (June 9th)
- Saint Peter French Immersion Open House @ 3:30PM (June 16th)
- Saint Peter’s Feast Day/Year End Closing Mass at Saint Patrick’s led by Mrs. LeDrew and Mrs. MacMillan’s classes at 10AM (June 18th)
- Talent Show at 12:15PM in Gymnasium (June 23rd)
- Graduation (June 25th)
- Closing Assembly (June 26th)
- Last Day of School (June 26th)