Happy Family Day Defenders!
We hope everyone is enjoying Family Day Weekend with those you hold most dear. As we head into another great week, here are a few pictures of the great things that were happening at Saint Peter this past week.
Mrs. Faria’s Kindergarten class had a visit from Adults in Motion, a group that support people with disABILITIES to thrive in our community. It was a rich learning experience for our youngest students and the living example of the value of people with disabilities was present in the classroom.
Mrs. Schell’s Class has ventured deep into the world of algebra and were successfully Collecting Like Terms. A wonderful lesson to be present for!
There were also many different Valentine celebrations happening throughout the school from an Intermediate Pot-luck to Primary Games Rotation in the afternoon to Extended Day Pancakes. You could feel the love all over Saint Peter!
Family Day – Monday February 17, 2020
The basic purpose of Family Day is to provide a special occasion on which Canadians can celebrate family and community life and to provide a holiday in the otherwise holiday-vacant, three-month span between New Year’s Day and Good Friday. Alberta first instituted Family Day in 1990 to celebrate the family life of the early pioneers, Saskatchewan made it a public holiday in 2007, Ontario in 2008, and British Columbia in 2013.
School children and private-sector workers get Family Day off, but as the holiday is a provincial and not a federal matter, federal workers do not get it off. Despite most people being off work to spend time with their families, post offices are still open as are public transportation facilities, though sometimes on a reduced schedule.
On Family Day, many take part in winter sports like ice skating, hockey, skiing, or snowboarding. There are community events and winter festivals to attend all over Canada this time of year. It is also popular to attend art exhibits and various museums, which frequently have discounts or even free entry on Family Day.
FUNdraiser Finishes this Week! DANCE-A-THON IS ON!
Please have all pledges brought in on Tuesday. If you are waiting on a family member to finish off a donation, the pledge forms and money can be brought in all throughout the week. Tuesday helps our parent volunteers with calculating ticket amounts for kids to participate in the draws. There are over 100 prizes so we know our community is going to be celebrating no matter what our final fundraising amount is. However, each pledge will make a huge difference to our community and we appreciate all that families do to support the Saint Peter community. Pledges can be made when students bring in cash or you use Cash-Online. All Donations $25 or over eligible for a tax receipt. Our Dance-A-Thon will take place on February 20th.
Registration is Ongoing! Tell your Friends!
~~ Parents can access the Online Registration form by clicking on the Register for School link on the WCDSB Homepage and then choosing either Kindergarten Registration, Elementary Registration or Secondary Registration. The link to Online Registration can be found on each page under the “Registration Options”
~~ Children born in 2016 are eligible for Year 1 Kindergarten (JK).
~~ Children born in 2015 are eligible for Year 2 Kindergarten (SK).
~~ When registering your child to attend a Catholic elementary school you must be prepared to provide proof of the child’s date of birth and either the child’s Catholic baptismal certificate or the Catholic baptismal certificate of at least one parent or guardian.
~~ If you are non-Catholic, but wish to explore a Catholic education for your child(ren), please review the WCDSB Admissions to Catholic Elementary Schools policy. Our secondary schools are open to students of all faiths.
~~ A complete list of WCDSB schools that will offer the Extended Day Program in 2020-21 will be web-posted in April, 2020. Please call your school directly for information about the Extended Day Program. A complete list of WCDSB schools currently providing the program is available via this link: Extended Day Program.
Monday, February 17th
Tuesday, February 18th
- Pizza Day
- Study Hall at Lunch
- Art Club with Mr. Harnack
- Coding Club at Lunch Time with Mrs. Dellaway in the Library.
Wednesday, February 19th
- Study Hall At Lunch
- Maker Club at Lunch Time with Mrs. Dellaway in the library.
- Choir Practice at Lunch with Mrs. MacMillan
- Art Club with Mr. Harnack
- Spirit Wear Day: Wear Red, Black and Grey
- Basketball Club at Lunch Time in the Gym
Thursday, February 20th
- DANCE-A-THON TODAY!!!
- Students will be dancing in their divisions at scheduled times throughout the days. The intermediates will get to bust a move before the grade 7s need to leave for swim to survive.
- Study Hall at Lunch
- Grade 8 Popcorn sales at Lunch ($1/bag, cash only, sold weekly on Thursdays)
- Grade 7 Students participate in Swim to Survive.
Friday, February 21st
- All teachers in every publicly funded Ontario school On Strike unless an agreement can be reached with the Province. No School Today.
Looking Beyond This Week…
- First Communion Parent Meeting (February 25th at 7PM at Saint Patrick’s Parish)
- Ash Wednesday Liturgy at 1:30PM at Saint Peter (February 26th)
- Pink Shirt Day (February 27th)
- Grade 7 Swimming Lessons (February 27th)
- Autonomy Umbrella Assembly: Mrs. Robertson and Mr. Kapron’s classes leading (12:15PM February 28th)
- Lenten Prayer Gathering (March 4th @ 8:40 AM)
- Lenten Prayer Gathering (March 11th @ 8:40 AM)
- Lenten Reconciliation (Confession) at school (March 12th)
- March Break (March 16th to 20th)
- Lenten Prayer Gathering (March 25th @ 8:40 AM)
- Grade 8 Grad, SK Photos, Sibling Photos and Retakes (March 26th)
- Intrinsic Motivation Umbrella Assembly at 10AM Mrs. Petro’s Class Leading (March 30th)
- Lenten Prayer Gathering (April 1st @ 8:40 AM)
- Grade 2’s Visit Saint Patrick’s for Reconciliation Preparation @ 12:30PM (April 2nd)
- P.A. Day (April 3rd)
- Holy Thursday (April 9th)
- Stations of the Cross at 2PM-Mrs. Robertson’s class leading (April 9th)
- Good Friday (April 10th)
- Easter Monday (April 13th)
- First Reconciliation for Grade 2s @ 1PM (Saturday, April 18th)
- Grade 7 Immunizations (April 27th)
- Integrity Umbrella Assembly at 2PM Mrs. Faria and Mr. Gallipeau’s classes leading (April 27th)
- Folk Dance Festival on a MONDAY at 7PM at the Preston Arena (May 4th)
- Star Wars Theme Day (May 4th) “May the 4th Be With You”
- Crowning of Mary Liturgy at 8:45AM-Mr. Smart’s Class Leading (May 7th)
- Safety Drill Week (May 11th to 15th)
- Victoria Day (May 18th)
- Mastery/Hope Umbrella Assembly Led by Mr. Harnack’s and Mrs. Schell’s classes @ 10:45AM (May 25th)
- First Communion Rehearsal/Retreat for Grade 2s at 10AM (May 28th)
- P.A. Day (May 29th)
- First Communion at 10AM (May 30th)
- Regional Track and Field (June 9th)
- Saint Peter French Immersion Open House @ 3:30PM (June 16th)
- Saint Peter’s Feast Day/Year End Closing Mass at Saint Patrick’s led by Mrs. LeDrew and Mrs. MacMillan’s classes at 10AM (June 18th)
- Talent Show at 12:15PM in Gymnasium (June 23rd)
- Graduation (June 25th)
- Closing Assembly (June 26th)
- Last Day of School (June 26th)