Congratulations Grade 7 Students!
It was a great celebration for our grade 7 students who journeyed through confirmation. A huge thank you to Mrs. Robertson and Mrs. Schell for supporting the candidates throughout their preparations. Also, we are grateful to Mrs. Monteiro and Mr. Harnack for their supportive presence during this very special event.
It seems like this will be a continued theme for the next little while. The good news is that there are some incredible teachers out there looking forward to teaching full time in a classroom. I am thrilled to announce that Mr. Chris Kapron will be teaching the grade 4/5 class for the remainder of the school year. Please welcome him as he joins the Saint Peter Community.
Family Day – Monday February 17, 2020
The basic purpose of Family Day is to provide a special occasion on which Canadians can celebrate family and community life and to provide a holiday in the otherwise holiday-vacant, three-month span between New Year’s Day and Good Friday. Alberta first instituted Family Day in 1990 to celebrate the family life of the early pioneers, Saskatchewan made it a public holiday in 2007, Ontario in 2008, and British Columbia in 2013.
School children and private-sector workers get Family Day off, but as the holiday is a provincial and not a federal matter, federal workers do not get it off. Despite most people being off work to spend time with their families, post offices are still open as are public transportation facilities, though sometimes on a reduced schedule.
On Family Day, many take part in winter sports like ice skating, hockey, skiing, or snowboarding. There are community events and winter festivals to attend all over Canada this time of year. It is also popular to attend art exhibits and various museums, which frequently have discounts or even free entry on Family Day.
FUNdraiser Continues…Keep Bringing in Those Pledges!
It is official…we are in FUNdraising mode as a school. You would have likely heard your children tell you how excited they are to earn tickets for great prizes and the opportunity to Pie the Principal in the Face! It is all in good fun that supports the learning and educational experience of our students. We value your partnership and support, and look forward to you joining us for the fun as well. More details to come when we have our Celebration Assembly, but we have many pledges to go first. Pledges can be made when students bring in cash or you use Cash-Online. All Donations $25 or over eligible for a tax receipt. Our Dance-A-Thon will take place on February 21st.
Registration is Open! Tell your Friends!
~~ Parents can access the Online Registration form by clicking on the Register for School link on the WCDSB Homepage and then choosing either Kindergarten Registration, Elementary Registration or Secondary Registration. The link to Online Registration can be found on each page under the “Registration Options”
~~ Children born in 2016 are eligible for Year 1 Kindergarten (JK).
~~ Children born in 2015 are eligible for Year 2 Kindergarten (SK).
~~ When registering your child to attend a Catholic elementary school you must be prepared to provide proof of the child’s date of birth and either the child’s Catholic baptismal certificate or the Catholic baptismal certificate of at least one parent or guardian.
~~ If you are non-Catholic, but wish to explore a Catholic education for your child(ren), please review the WCDSB Admissions to Catholic Elementary Schools policy. Our secondary schools are open to students of all faiths.
~~ A complete list of WCDSB schools that will offer the Extended Day Program in 2020-21 will be web-posted in April, 2020. Please call your school directly for information about the Extended Day Program. A complete list of WCDSB schools currently providing the program is available via this link: Extended Day Program.
Parents regularly ask us if there are any opportunities to help out and volunteer at the school. Currently there are 3 opportunities.
- Strong Start Reading Support. This requires a few hours a week, but will make an incredible difference in the lives of the kids you interact with. Essentially, it is a reading intervention which helps students who are struggling to master their reading skills. If you are interested in helping, please contact Sharon Farrow who organizes the program at our school.
- Shrove Tuesday Pancake Breakfast. This is about 2 weeks away, but if you feel like being a part of making our community breakfast happen, we would love you to be a part of the special day. Again, please reach out to Mr. Hunt to express your interest in participating in this event.
Monday, February 10th
- Smoothie/Milkshake Reward
- Lots of great ingredients and volunteers lined up for tomorrow!
- Should be a great event acknowledging all of our kids’ great efforts in class.
- Folk Dance in the Gym at Lunch
- PALS at Lunch on the Yard
Tuesday, February 11th
- Pizza Day
- Study Hall at Lunch
- Art Club with Mr. Harnack
- Coding Club at Lunch Time with Mrs. Dellaway in the Library.
Wednesday, February 12th
- Study Hall At Lunch
- Maker Club at Lunch Time with Mrs. Dellaway in the library.
- Art Club with Mr. Harnack
- Spirit Wear Day: Wear Red, Black and Grey
- Basketball Club at Lunch Time in the Gym
Thursday, February 13th
- Study Hall at Lunch
- Grade 8 Popcorn sales at Lunch ($1/bag, cash only, sold weekly on Thursdays)
- Term 1 Report Cards and Term 2 IEPs go home today.
- Grade 7 Students participate in Swim to Survive.
Friday, February 14th
- Folk Dance in the Gymnasium at Lunch
- Happy Valentine’s Day
Monday, February 17th
- Family Day
- No School Today
Looking Beyond This Week…
- Intermediate Basketball Tournament at Msgr. Doyle (February 20th)
- DANCE-A-THON FUNdraiser (February 21st)
- Autonomy Umbrella Assembly: Mrs. Robertson and Mr. Smart’s classes leading (12:15PM February 24th)
- First Communion Parent Meeting (February 25th at 7PM at Saint Patrick’s Parish)
- Ash Wednesday Liturgy at 1:30PM at Saint Peter (February 26th)
- Grade 7 Swimming Lessons (February 27th)
- Lenten Prayer Gathering (March 4th @ 8:40 AM)
- Lenten Prayer Gathering (March 11th @ 8:40 AM)
- Lenten Reconciliation (Confession) at school (March 12th)
- March Break (March 16th to 20th)
- Lenten Prayer Gathering (March 25th @ 8:40 AM)
- Grade 8 Grad, SK Photos, Sibling Photos and Retakes (March 26th)
- Intrinsic Motivation Umbrella Assembly at 10AM Mrs. Petro’s Class Leading (March 30th)
- Lenten Prayer Gathering (April 1st @ 8:40 AM)
- Grade 2’s Visit Saint Patrick’s for Reconciliation Preparation @ 12:30PM (April 2nd)
- P.A. Day (April 3rd)
- Holy Thursday (April 9th)
- Stations of the Cross at 2PM-Mrs. Robertson’s class leading (April 9th)
- Good Friday (April 10th)
- Easter Monday (April 13th)
- First Reconciliation for Grade 2s @ 1PM (Saturday, April 18th)
- Grade 7 Immunizations (April 27th)
- Integrity Umbrella Assembly at 2PM Mrs. Faria and Mr. Gallipeau’s classes leading (April 27th)
- Folk Dance Festival on a MONDAY at 7PM at the Preston Arena (May 4th)
- Star Wars Theme Day (May 4th) “May the 4th Be With You”
- Crowning of Mary Liturgy at 8:45AM-Mr. Smart’s Class Leading (May 7th)
- Safety Drill Week (May 11th to 15th)
- Victoria Day (May 18th)
- Mastery/Hope Umbrella Assembly Led by Mr. Harnack’s and Mrs. Schell’s classes @ 10:45AM (May 25th)
- First Communion Rehearsal/Retreat for Grade 2s at 10AM (May 28th)
- P.A. Day (May 29th)
- First Communion at 10AM (May 30th)
- Regional Track and Field (June 9th)
- Saint Peter French Immersion Open House @ 3:30PM (June 16th)
- Saint Peter’s Feast Day/Year End Closing Mass at Saint Patrick’s led by Mrs. LeDrew and Mrs. MacMillan’s classes at 10AM (June 18th)
- Talent Show at 12:15PM in Gymnasium (June 23rd)
- Graduation (June 25th)
- Closing Assembly (June 26th)
- Last Day of School (June 26th)