Advent Week 2 …
The second week of Advent is about preparing by making room for Peace in our lives. The prophet Isaiah foretold of Jesus’ birth when he wrote:
For a child has been born for us,
a son given to us;
authority rests upon his shoulders;
and he is named
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
His authority shall grow continually,
and there shall be endless peace
for the throne of David and his kingdom.
As a community, we will focus on ways we can bring about Peace within our families, and friendships and classrooms.
Advent Giving Project: Santa for Seniors FINAL WEEK!
This year the staff and students of Saint Peter will be collecting various items that our local community is in need of. We are donating to Cambridge Shelter and Saint Luke’s Place.
They are in need of the following items:
- Small tubes of toothpaste
- Shampoo and Conditioner
- Facial Tissue
- Hand Warmers
- Winter Hats
- Soft Chocolate (Mars, Aero etc.)
- Tim Horton Cards in $5 amounts
- Dollarama Cards in $5 amounts.
We will be collecting these items until Friday December 13th. Thank you for working with your children to make a difference in the lives of all members of our local community!
Also, staff who are participating in Jeans for December have donated an additional $20 to our community charity fund. If you see our teachers dressed more casually than usual, they are contributing to a good cause and making a real difference in the community. Formal dress will return in January.
Turkey Lunch Details…Volunteers Wanted!
Our Turkey Lunch is coming up (Thursday, December 19th) and we wanted to make sure everyone was ready for the day. We our trying to live out our Catholic values of stewardship so we are asking everyone to bring your own plate and cutlery so we do not produce excess garbage. We will send it home rinsed off and it will help with our Eco-School commitment to the environment. Also, our Catholic Parent Advisory Council is heavily subsidizing the meal, but we are asking each student to bring $2 in to contribute to the costs. If your child forgets to bring something in, there will still be food and everyone will be well fed.
We are blessed with a great group of families at Saint Peter and we know that people are interested in helping out. If you would like to volunteer for the event, please reach out directly to Mr. Hunt by calling the school or sending him an email at email@example.com . It is going to be a great event for our community!
This Month’s Umbrella Skill…AUTHENTICITY
Authenticity is a skill that supports our community in many ways. When you are truly authentic, you are comfortable with yourself and much more accepting of others. Here are the connections we are working with students to make this month!
- The quality of being genuine or real
- Representing your true self instead of what you think others want you to be
- Staying true to your beliefs
- Believability and truthfulness
- Being comfortable with yourself
- When your actions match your words and values
Monday, December 9th
- Grade 2s trip to Doon Village
- Intermediate Basketball Practice After-school
Tuesday, December 10th
- Study Hall at Lunch
- Pizza Day
Wednesday, December 11th
- Study Hall At Lunch
- Basketball Club at Lunch Time
Thursday, December 12th
- Advent Mass at 8:45AM led by Mrs. Petro’s class.
- Study Hall at Lunch
- Volleyball at lunch
- Grade 8 Popcorn sales at Lunch ($1/bag, cash only, sold weekly on Thursdays)
- Intermediate Basketball Practice After-School
Friday, December 13th
- Last Day to bring in items for the SANTA FOR SENIORS Advent Project
Looking Beyond This Week…
- Umbrella Assembly @ 8:40AM -Focus is Resilience – Led by Mrs. Haman and Mrs. Harrington (December 16th)
- Christmas Sweater Day (December 16th)
- Sparkle and Shine Day (December 17th)
- Christmas Concert Performance #1 (December 17th in the AM in the Saint Peter Gym)
- Parents with last names beginning with the letter A until K should attend this time block.
- Christmas Concert Performance #2 (December 17th in the PM in the Saint Peter Gym)
- Parents with last names beginning with the letter L until Z should attend this time block.
- Wear Red Day (December 18th)
- Wear Green Day (December 19th)
- Community Turkey Lunch (December 19th)
- Students can bring in $2 to help with the costs of the meal. BUT anyone who forgets or is not able to bring in their money will still be eating. We want everyone to be there to celebrate together.
- Dress Like Christmas! (December 20th)
- Christmas Vacation Begins (December 21st)
- First Day Back at School in 2020 (January 6th)
- Teaching Mass for grades 5 and 6 at St. Patrick’s Parish (January 8th)
- We would LOVE to see as many parents as possible of grade 5 and 6 students attend with your children!
- Comfy Clothes Day (January 9th)
- Grade 7 Immunizations (January 9th)
- University of Waterloo Child Cognition Lab (January 10th)
- Mount Mary Retreat (January 15th to 17th)
- P.A. Day (January 25th)
- Mindfulness Umbrella Assembly: Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Monteiro’s classes leading (10 AM on January 27th)
- Report Cards Go Home (February 13th)
- Grade 7 Swim to Survive (February 13th)
- Family Day (February 17th)
- Autonomy Umbrella Assembly: Mrs. Robertson and Mr. Smart’s classes leading (12:15PM February 24th)